Friday, February 22, 2013

Just Say "Yes!"

Your phone rings and it's your roommate. She asks you if you could pick up some milk for her on the way home from hanging out with some friends. Be honest, what is your first reaction? Yes or no?

Whether or not you were honest, I'll be honest with you. I tend to fall under the "No" category. I can be a "no-person."

But I'm trying to get better! In all my relationships, I try to ignore the intuitive "no" that rises to my lips and instead, just say "yes!" It may be inconvenient or something that is out of your comfort zone but some of life's greatest moments happen when you do something for others or something you've never done before.

For example, I was at the mall yesterday when I saw a woman I used to know when I was a kid. Her and her husband were very close with my family and we used to spend a lot of time with them. She was always a very nice, very fun woman and I knew she would recognize me. But for some reason, my first instinct was to turn around and avoid eye contact. I was uncomfortable and afraid of the awkwardness that could occur.

After a few moments I got to thinking, "What's the worst that could happen?" Possibly a few moments of awkwardness? But what's the best thing that could happen? I could potentially re-ignite a great friendship my family shared with this really great lady. So I went and talked to her and you know what? It was great! Not one bit of awkwardness! We chatted for a few minutes and caught up and decided we'd get together in the near future.

So when your insecurities or laziness cause you to first react negatively, just ignore it! Spend a minute actually thinking about the opportunity in front of you. Amazing things could happen. You may just find yourself turning into a "yes-person" someday!

Love much,
Lavender

No comments:

Post a Comment