Sunday, January 27, 2013

Introducing Duckie

Duckie is my boyfriend. So nicknamed because of the personality resemblance to the character from "Pretty in Pink." In the 1986 Molly Ringwald movie, her best friend (Duckie) is hopelessly in love with her while she idiotically chases the stupid Blanes of the world. While I'm not a huge fan of '80s teen movies, I couldn't help but see the similarities between the characters in "Pretty in Pink" and the characters in my own life.

pretty in pink

Duckie and I met in high school and were fast friends. Our mutual group of friends would eat lunch in a teacher's classroom every day and by our senior year, Duckie and I were hanging out all the time. I knew we were compatible in friendship but, to be totally honest, I couldn't see it as any more than that. This was a bit of a problem because I secretly knew that Duckie hoped that we could be romantically compatible.

In true romantic comedy form, I ignored the sweet gentleman that is right in front of my eyes and somehow found the most idiotic guys within a 30 mile radius of myself to fall for. Whenever I started dating a particular one of these guys and made plans to attend my senior prom with him, Duckie suddenly fell off my friends list. Little did I know, Duckie had been planning to ask me to prom and then found out about my new boyfriend on Facebook. (I know, I kick myself about 3 times a week for that one.)

He didn't need a ride home from school anymore (I used to give him one every single day) and wouldn't reciprocate my friendly gestures. I knew I had done something stupid. Even once Idiot and I broke up, Duckie wouldn't warm back up to me.

One year and another boyfriend later, I am in my hometown for summer and reconnect with Duckie. I pick him up (he still needs rides) and we go to lunch at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Suddenly, our friendship is so easy again. After a great lunch where we catch each other up on the last year, we laughed our way through a couple snow cones.

After the afternoon is over, this girl right here was severely confused. Was that a hint of butterflies in my stomach? Did those few inches he grew make him even cuter than I always thought he was? We hung out a few more times over the summer and every time it was over, I was more and more confused. I couldn't tell if I was just rebounding from my recent breakup and latching onto the first cute guy or if these were legitimate feelings.


Until we had one of the most fun nights I have ever had in my life. I picked him up from work at around 10 pm and we stayed up until 5 am just messing around at all the 24-hour places in town. Keep in mind: I can hardly stay up past midnight on usual occasions. But this was no usual occasion.

At one point during the night, Duckie and I decide to go to a self-service car wash (there isn't a lot to do in our town). While I stood there and watched him wash my car for me, I had an irresistible urge to kiss him. I knew then and there that my feelings were more than friendly.

A few adorable details later (that I'm sure I will describe soon) and we have now been dating for almost five months. Let me tell you, it has been an absolutely wonderful five months–romantic comedy worthy, even.

Love much,

Lavender





No comments:

Post a Comment