Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gettin' Shit Done

I like to get shit done. I have learned that if I don't do something right when it needs to be done (or at least schedule a time that I will do it), then it won't happen. Something else I've learned: Duckie doesn't work this way.

I can't even count the number of times I've heard, "I'll do it later." It drives me up the wall! Usually I just ignore it and let him deal with his own personal matters, but this weekend we came across an issue that had to do with both of us.

We've been talking about planning a Spring Break trip for a while now. So last week, I tell him: "Let's have our trip planned by the end of the weekend!"

I thought, Surely, giving him a due date and asking nicely will work. Nope. We had our destination and dates picked out and when I say, "Okay, can I book it?" He says, "I have to make sure my mom wasn't planning anything with me." So I say, "Okay can you call her right now?" He says, "No, I don't want to bother her right now. I'll call her this week."

WE WERE SO CLOSE TO ACTUALLY GETTING SHIT DONE!

Admittedly, I get a little snarky with him right then and there. I tell him our spot is going to get booked and if we don't do it now it would be too late and he tells me that it's not going to get booked and that I'm overreacting. Nothing is decided and I angrily go back to cooking our dinner.

A few minutes later I see him get a text from his mom. Y'all! He asked his mom about Spring Break plans right then and there! I was so touched that he was proactive and did what I asked him without any more arguing; there were no "This is stupid"s or "I wish I could just do it this week"s! He just did it because he knew it would make me feel better.

That may be silly but I think it was a step in the right direction. I admire his laid-back attitude, I could certainly take a page from his book when it comes to that, but in this case he took a page from my book very respectfully.

So tell me, how do you deal when the people in your life are frustrating you? How do you remain patient (like I obviously wasn't) when you are certain that you know what's best? Leave me a comment or two, will ya?

Love much,

Lavender

♪: "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin

No comments:

Post a Comment