Monday, January 28, 2013

Gotta Communciate

Last night found me laying in bed trying to sleep but really I was just frustratingly waiting for Duckie to call me. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with him this weekend so I wanted to have a nice conversation before bedtime. That evening I texted him: "Could we talk on the phone or FaceTime sometime before bed?" To which he says, "Sure." And because I know he has said that a lot and then not been able to call, I say, "Promise?" And he promises.

A bit later he texts me: "I'm going to go to the gym and I'll call you on my way back."

Then a while later: "Done working out...I'm not heading back home yet but I'll call you when I do."

When I ask, "When do you think that will be?" he replies "Soon if not now."

So silly me, thinking he was going to call me within the next few minutes.

30 minutes later: "Babe?"

"What?"

"I thought you said you were heading home soon."

"I'm eating and then walking back."

"Well I've been waiting for you to call. I need to go to bed. You said 'soon if not now.'"

"Oh sorry :("

"It's fine, do you know when you will be done?

"I don't know."

I'm not the only one who would be frustrated by this, right? When he finally did call me, he was standing in the cold outside his house and called just to say good night. I hid my disappointment on the phone; I had wanted a real conversation where we talk about our weekends, not a quick good night.

After we hung up, I realized I hadn't communicated very well. Duckie was a great boyfriend and he wouldn't blow off a phone call with me if he didn't have to. I texted him and straight up said: "When I asked you if we could talk before bed I didn't mean just a good night."

To which he apologized with many emojis and exclamation marks then promptly called me for a decent conversation.

We were obviously having a communication problem. He didn't express to me what his timing was, thus I was waiting around for him. And I didn't express to him my true intention. For all he knows, I had only wanted a good-bye call that whole time. This small lesson taught me that in a relationship (and especially over text) it is vital to be so thorough in what you say that there is no chance of misunderstanding.

Love much,

Lavender

♪: "The Boys" by Nicki Minaj and Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment